Based on the Realtime, Conflict-Free StenEd Theory
StenEd strongly recommends that students use the StenEd translating dictionaries beginning with theory and throughout their training. Once students have a strong background in realtime StenEd theory, they can effectively use the StenEd dictionaries -- in realtime whenever possible -- to build speed and perfect their writing and transcription skills. Upon graduation, they will have the most important tool that will serve them during their entire career -- their own personal translating dictionary.
As with all translating dictionaries, the StenEd CAT and job dictionaries can be personalized by the school or individual (i.e., entries can be altered, added, or deleted). Remember that StenEd dictionaries have been carefully created to be free of conflicts. Extreme care should be taken to avoid inadvertently adding any conflicting entries.
StenEd Translating Dictionaries
Item #TranDict1 includes both StenEd##, the Main Translating Dictionary and MedSted##, the Medical Job Translating Dictionary
Note: The ## refers to the year the dictionary was last updated.
The date may be different for different CAT systems. The last major update was in 2005.
StenEd Main Translating Dictionary (StenEd##)
Medical Job Translating Dictionary (MedSted##)
- Conflict free.
- Translates everything in StenEd's hard copy Realtime Professional Dictionary (Item #551) plus more.
- Contains approximately 70,000 entries (words and word parts).
- Translates well over 100,000 words.
- Translates legal terms contained in StenEd's Realtime Legal Dictionary for Stenotypists (Item #556).
- Includes foreign terms commonly used in this country.
- StenEd## is free to all schools teaching the StenEd theory. These schools are given permission to make copies of this dictionary, at no cost, so their students can graduate with their own personalized copy of the StenEd master dictionary.
- Individuals wishing to obtain StenEd## directly from StenEd are charged a nominal fee.
- Conflict free.
- Best when used in conjunction with StenEd##. (Can also be used with a non-StenEd main dictionary, but you may have to add/change some entries.)
- Translates everything in StenEd's hard copy Realtime Medical Dictionary for Stenotypists (Item #555) when used as a job dictionary with StenEd##. (Note: In some CAT systems MedSted is merged with the main dictionary rather than used as a job dictionary.)
- Contains approximately 78,000 entries (words and word parts).
- Translates well over 150,000 words.
- The user should have StenEd's hard copy Medical Dictionary for Stenotypists (Item #555) in order to best use this translation dictionary.
- MedSted## is free to all schools teaching the StenEd medical program. These schools are given permission to make copies of this dictionary, at no cost, so their students can graduate with their own personalized copy of the StenEd master medical job dictionary.
- Individuals wishing to obtain MedSted## directly from StenEd are charged a nominal fee.
Important Information About CAT Dictionary Formats!
The various CAT systems each have unique dictionary format requirements. Thus, when requesting a translating dictionary, you must indicate which translation system(s) you are using.
Some CAT systems include the StenEd translating dictionary(ies) with their software and you have the option of activating it to be your personal dictionary. Ask your CAT rep if that option is available for you. Similarly, many schools teaching StenEd provide their students with the StenEd CAT dictionary(ies) as part of their training.
If neither of these options is available to you, you can always purchase the StenEd CAT dictionary directly from us. We currently offer three formats. Eclipse® (by Advantage Software)
Case CATalyst® (by Stenograph)
If the StenEd translating dictionary isn't available in your CAT format, we can also provide a copy in RTF/CRE (Rich Text Format/Court Reporter Extensions) for you or your CAT company to convert to their system. (Before doing this, we suggest you ask the CAT company if they already have the StenEd translating dictionary in their CAT format.)
Always proof any conversion carefully since conversions are not flawless. Sometimes formatted items may be lost.
To Contact StenEd
Phone = 352-475-3332 ~ Fax = 352-475-2152
Toll Free = 888-StenEd1 (888-783-6331)
StenEd ~ PO Box 959 ~ Melrose, FL 32666